Call for carbon monoxide alarms to be fitted in all properties to let

Almost a third of renters in the UK do not have a life-saving carbon monoxide alarm in their property, with four in five unaware that it is their responsibility – and not their landlord’s or agent’s – to provide one.

The ‘Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed!’ campaign says private renters are still at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning nearly two years after legislation aimed at protecting private tenants came into effect. 

Under current regulations, landlords or their agents in England and Wales are only required to provide a CO alarm in properties with a solid fuel appliance – that is, coal or wood burning stoves. However, in Scotland landlords are legally required to provide CO alarms in all properties.

The campaign – run by Energy UK – is now calling on government to take action to extend the legislation to ensure all private tenants throughout the nation are protected.